Saturday, January 30, 2010

Presidents aren’t as powerful as you think

An editorial I wrote last year regarding the impossibility of many presidential campaign promises.


Presidential campaigning for tomorrow’s election has been underway for two weeks now.

Posters are plastered across campus. Candidates and their teams roam the halls and try to convince you why they will make the best Wilfrid Laurier University Students’ Union (WLUSU) president for the 2009-2010 academic year.

Despite all the candidates’ campaign efforts and platform initiatives, it’s unlikely that anyone who gets elected will actually be the type of president they aim to be.

“You want better food in the Dining Hall? I’ll see what I can do.” “You don’t like the lighting in the Science Building? I’ll look into that.” “Tuition is too high? Let’s just eliminate it altogether.”

WLUSU candidates make empty promises like these every year.

Those running are likely to say whatever they can to get the vote, but when it actually comes to upholding these promises and accomplishing something significant in their term, the chances are much less likely.

Presidents don’t typically run for re-election, so there’s little incentive for them to actually keep the students in mind throughout their presidential term. It’s much easier to operate status quo and appease those with whom they work on a daily basis.

WLUSU has close ties with the university’s administration and, unfortunately, admin and staff within WLUSU have a significant impact on the decisions the president makes.

The students’ union follows a strategic plan so it’s unlikely that any one person would actually set it off course.

Traditionally, when the union or WLU administration is unhappy about something, they sit down and negotiate, and an incoming president likely won’t alter that relationship.

WLUSU lacks advocacy on behalf of the student body, meaning that the president rarely “provides for the needs of students,” as the union’s mandate suggests they should.

Unless you follow WLUSU politics very closely, it’s hard to see a tangible thing that a president has done recently that has been good for Laurier students.

Bringing back the Hawk certainly doesn’t count in my eyes.

All presidents – including those in whom I had great confidence when they stepped into office – have made decisions that I don’t feel have been in the best interest of the student body.

This year, for instance, WLUSU president Colin Le Fevre decided to ban underagers from the Turret and to cut the campus radio station.

Clearly, whoever is elected tomorrow is in an important position, though it’s likely that once they get into office they will forget the promises they made to students and lose sight of the mandate they ran on.

American political scientist Henry Kissinger once said, “University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so small.” He must have been describing the WLUSU presidential position when he said that.

While the campaign season hasn’t been particularly vicious this year, like every other year there have been plenty of campaign promises made that are unlikely to be met, no matter who wins in tomorrow’s election.

Candidates will tell you that they’ll always put the students first, but when working under the constraints of WLUSU, this rarely happens.


Laura Carlson
Editor-in-Chief

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this Laura.

    I will start by stating that I have that Henry Kissinger quote posted in the wall of my office, and I hate it. It is a gift that has been passed down from VP: University Affairs to VP: University Affairs, and too me minimizes the potential impact that a student executive could have.

    I wanted to respond to your post because to me this election is not about promises and competition. This is an election about some serious issues, issues that I feel very passionately about. If I do have the honour of being elected to office, I will follow through with my platform, not because I feel some obligation to or because of some moral feeling to follow through with promises, but instead because I WANT to implement my platform.

    I have not included anything in my platform that I do not truly believe in. Students’ deserve a stronger voice, and a President who is going to stand up to the University Administration.

    No I can't single handedly prevent a strike, but I can implement a strategy, engage the media, and bang down university administration doors until the needs of students are met.

    I can't give ONE CARD money back to every student, but I can provide a researched position to the University that provides other options. Further, I can demand that the university implement these other options, and in the event that the student voice is being ignored, I can again engage with the media and directly with the student body to make sure everyone knows that the University is ignoring the needs of students.

    I can't as WLUSU President enforce the Universities enrollment cap, but I can lobby both the University and the Provincial government to actually keep their promises.

    This election should be about the issues, the REAL issues. I agree that we need a stronger advocacy presence as a Students’ Union and that is what I am offering. My experience standing up to the university administration began when I was in second year and demanded that accessible seating be created at the Football Stadium. By working with Peter Baxter, I was able to influence him to install the small wheelchair ramp that now exists. Since then I have continued to advocate for the needs of students through my lobbying efforts to both the provincial and federal government. Next year I want to turn my focus to WLU and the University Administration.

    Next year is also a Strategic Planning year. As mentioned in your post, the President of WLUSU is usually restricted to following the Strategic Plan that is already in place. The President next year will have the unique opportunity to create the next Strategic Plan. I was on the Board of Directors when they completed a Strategic Plan three years ago, and I am excited at the prospect of undertaking this endeavour in which the President will have a chance to look forward and be progressive.

    Also looking forward, the operating agreement between the Union and the University expires this year, so the President will have to opportunity to renegotiate how the Union operates at the University. This is an opportunity that only occurs once ever ten years.

    The 2010-2011 school year is different. There are so many contracts, agreements, and plans that all expire and will need to be renegotiated. This is the year that the President can be forward thinking and innovative and have a true influence at WLU.

    Together we can be successful, and with experienced leadership we can PRES for a better Laurier.

    Kory Preston
    Presidential Candidate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly a healthy dose of skepticism is required whenever promises are at stake. Be it a marketing pitch or a political campaign at any level, grand promises are appealing. WLUSU is no different in this respect and all candidates should be questioned during the campaign, and successful candidates should be held accountable after the election.

    That said, I wouldn't make the conclusion from this discussion on skepticism that union presidents aren't as powerful as students think. First, the structure of WLUSU often causes an inexperienced Board to oversee the president, and VPs picked largely by the incoming President themself. That's a lot of structural power, but I don't think that's what you were trying to argue. Second, the president has a staggering about of advocacy power. As you correctly noted, providing for the needs of students is a big claim, so the capacity is certainly there, and through campaigning I've realized that not a lot of students actually know this. Third, presidents can fulfill platform initiatives if they have reasonable ideas and knowledge from experience. This current year President Sheridan is well on her way to meeting he platform initiatives and has sent out several updates noting her exact progress.

    I still believe that a presidential candidate can achieve positive change and accomplish ambitious proposals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what the greatest hindrance to progress is?

    Disbelief

    ReplyDelete